I’m not a professional cook. Nor do I play one on TV. I do, however, consider myself a professional eater. And I did grow up on TV Dinners, so make what you will out of that.
Sure my mom cooked for us all the time, but I definitely remember her making us all sorts of scrumptious TV dinners like the turkey with gravy or the salisbury steak! Those mashed potatoes and that cherry cobbler were just the best, right?
And on some occasions, she’d even stock up on chicken pot pies. Awwww, yeah. Then there’s all those frozen pizzas I’d snack on in my high school years. I distinctly remember my summer routine of staying up real late to watch the Honeymooners at 11:30 p.m., while chomping down on a microwavable pizza. Yeah, those were the days.
All that’s to say, I know my frozen food. And thanks to the gregarious guys over at Life of Dad, I have the chance to put my talents where my mouth is. Or something.
Life of Dad is working with Easy Home Meals to run the #FrozenChefMadness Challenge!
Just put together your own simple recipe that includes frozen foods and you could win:
- Grand prize: $800
- Second place: $250
- Third place: $150
- Fourth place: $100
To enter the contest:
- Create and photograph your own appetizer/prepared snack food recipe using at least three items from the Easy Home Meals Product List.
- Share the photo of your image on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter using #FrozenChefMadness and email it to EasyHomeMeals@lifeofdad.com
- Become a member of Life of Dad.
Now, anybody can enter, but I have to warn you, you’re probably wasting your time. Why, you may ask? Well, simply because I’ve already entered and I don’t see how you could possibly beat me.
Looking at the potential ingredients, the first thing that popped into my head was Mrs. T’s Pierogies. I mean who doesn’t love this succulent morsels of potato-goodness???? But what to do with them? I was thinking of some sort of taco or burrito, but that’s a bit too much carbs for one meal.
Then it hit me. A Pierogies Casserole! A quick trip to the grocery store later and I was on my way to creating my Chicken Pierogi Casserole!
I wanted to keep the recipe as simple as possible for kitchen-wary dads like myself. Plus, by using mostly frozen ingredients, they can sit in the freezer for a long time. Long enough for us dads to get up off our butts and actually cook something! Plus, if you decide not to make a meal, you can just use these items individually as needed!
- 2 Bags of Pictsweet Seasoned Spring Vegetables
- 2 Boxes of Tyson’s Boneless Chicken WYNGZ, Honey BBQ Flavored
- 1 Box of Mrs. T’s Potato & Onion Pierogies
- 1 container reduced fat sour cream
- 1 bottle of reduced fat blue cheese dressing
Here’s everything ready to go! I’ll even walk you through it:
These are all the ingredients you’ll need!
Oil up the bottom of a casserole dish and layer it with the frozen pierogies.
Cover the pierogies with a thin layer of sour cream.
Add a layer of frozen veggies.
Mix the blue cheese dressing and chicken in a bowl to coat.
Put the chicken/blue cheese mixture on top.
All ready for the oven!
Bake for 45 minutes at 400 degrees and you’ll get these mouth-watering results.
To summarize the recipe:
- Grease a pan and cover the bottom with Mrs. T’s Pierogies
- Cover pierogies with layer of sour cream
- Add layer of vegetables
- in large bowl, mix chicken with blue cheese dressing to coat all pieces
- Add layer of chicken/blue cheese mix
- Bake at 400 for 45 minutes
- Drool in anticipation
And there you have it! My Chicken Pierogi Casserole! I’ll just sit by the mailbox and wait for my grand prize. Of course, there are Runners-Up prizes, so I guess you should enter after all.
Contest is open to everyone, so get moving! But you only have until March 17, so start cooking.