Happy MAR10 Day! Yep, it’s March 10, or abbreviated to MAR10, which spells MARIO!
Nintendo’s beloved mustached hero has been around for a whopping 30 years! The amazing thing about the whole Mario Universe is that I loved it when I was a kid, and now I get to continue enjoying it with my kids!
To help celebrate this special day, my good friends at Nintendo sent over this super sweet basket of Mario cookie pop awesomeness! I wonder if I’ll gain flower power or invincibility when I eat one…
Looking back at the big guy, he’s had quite an adventure in just the last year alone! Take a look at some highlights from 2015:
Mario’s 2015 Year in Review:
- Mario celebrated 30 years since first leaping into gamers’ hearts with 1985’s Super Mario Bros. Fans across the country celebrated with him in this fun video.
- Nintendo launched Super Mario Maker, easily one of the best video games ever made! (Check out Jason’s Super Mario Maker Review!) To date, more than 6 million levels have been created by fans.
- Facebook’s engineers celebrated Mario by creating their very own Super Mario Maker levels for fans to play. Check them out here.
- A classic 8-bit designed Mario amiibo was released to celebrate the 30th Anniversary.
- Mario served up another hit on the courts with the launch of Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash for Wii U.
- For the first time ever Mario teamed up with his paper counterpart, Paper Mario, in the colorful action RPG Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam for Nintendo 3DS.
- With some help from his voice actor, Charles Martinet, Mario celebrated the grand opening of the Nintendo NY store in Rockefeller Plaza.
To help celebrate Mar10 Day, I asked Jason to come up with some neat little-known facts about Mario. Here’s what he shared.
The 10 Coolest Things You Never Knew About Mario
- Mario has appeared in over 200 games!
- Mario was originally called Mr. Video during the development of Donkey Kong
- In Donkey Kong, Mario was a carpenter
- The reason Mario has a mustache and wears a hat is because of hardware limitations
- Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Mario, wanted Mario to ride an animal since Super Mario Bros.
- Super Mario Bros. was originally a 2D shooter
- According to a study done in 1990, Mario is more recognizable to children than Mickey Mouse
- The developers of Mario Kart 8 originally planned on having drills attached to the front of Karts instead of anti-gravity
- In Super Mario Bros., if you wait long enough, hammer bros. will start to chase you down
- In Super Mario Bros. 3, if you let a chain chomp tug on its chain 49 times, it will come loose on the 50th
Hope you all enjoy MAR10 Day! Stay tuned for a very special post to help celebrate! (Hint: It’s pretty awesome and rhymes with the word “giveaway”)
How are you celebrating MAR10 Day?